Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
April 28 is the 118th day of the year (119th in leap years) in the Gregorian
Calendar, with 247 days remaining.
* 1686 - Isaac Newton's volume no. 1 of his Principia Mathematica is
published for the first time.
* 1788 - Maryland becomes the 7th state to ratify the Constitution of the
* 1789 - Mutiny on the HMS Bounty. Captain William Bligh and 18 sailors
set adrift and rebel crew sets sail for Pitcairn Island.
* 1862 - American Civil War: Admiral David Farragut captures New Orleans,
* 1920 - Azerbaijan is added to the Soviet Union.
* 1932 - A vaccine for yellow fever is announced for use on humans.
* 1945 - Benito Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci were shot to
death while trying to flee Italy.
* 1947 - Thor Heyerdahl and five crewmates set out from Peru on the Kon
Tiki to prove that Peruvian natives could have settled Polynesia.
* 1952 - Dwight D. Eisenhower resigns as Supreme Commander of NATO in
order to run for President of the United States.
* 1952 - The United States occupation of Japan ends.
* 1965 - United States troops land in the Dominican Republic to
"forestall establishment of a Communist dictatorship" and to evacuate
* 1969 - Charles de Gaulle resigns as President of France
* 1977 - The Baader-Meinhof Gang trial ends, with Andreas Baader, Gudrun
Ensslin and Jan-Carl Raspe being found guilty of four counts of murder
and more than 30 counts of attempted murder
* 1988 - Near Maui, Hawaii a flight attendant is sucked out of an Aloha
Airlines Boeing 737 and falls to her death when an upper part of the
plan's cabin area rips off in mid-flight. Metal fatigue is later found
to be the cause of the failure.
* 1994 - Former Central Intelligence Agency official Aldrich Ames and
pleads guilty to giving US secretes to the Soviet Union and later
* 1996 - Whitewater: President Bill Clinton gives 4 1/2 hour videotaped
testimony for the defense.
* 1997 - The 1993 Chemical Weapons Convention, signed in Paris in January
1993, goes into effect.Russia, Iraq, North Korea were notable nations
who had not ratified the treaty.
* 2003 - Apple Computer's iTunes Music Store released, sells 1,000,000
songs in first week.
* 32 - Otho, Roman Emperor
* 1442 - King Edward IV of England (+ 1483)
* 1758 - James Monroe, 5th President of the United States (+ 1831)
* 1819 - Ezra Abbot, american bible scholar
* 1874 - Karl Kraus, journalist and author (+ 1936)
* 1878 - Lionel Barrymore, actor (+ 1954)
* 1889 - Antonio Salazar, dictator of Portugal
* 1896 - Charlie Rivel, clown (+ 1983)
* 1900 - Bruno Apitz, author (+ 1979)
* 1906 - Kurt Gödel, mathematician
* 1908 - Oskar Schindler, businessman (+ 1974)
* 1922 - Alistair MacLean, author (+ 1987)
* 1923 - Horst-Eberhard Richter, psychoanalyst
* 1928 - Yves Klein, painter (+ 1962)
* 1930 - James Baker, politician
* 1937 - Saddam Hussein, former leader of Iraq
* 1948 - Terry Pratchett, author
* 1950 - Jay Leno, comedian
* 1974 - Penélope Cruz, actress
* 1905 - Fitzhugh Lee, Confederate general
* 1926 - Zip the Pinhead, born William Henry Johnson, of natural causes
* 1945 - Benito Mussolini Il Duce and Clara Petacci, shot, hanged upside
* 1992 - Francis Bacon, artist.
* 2002 - Alexander Lebed - Russian General
* 2002 - Ruth Handler - inventor of the Barbie Doll
Holidays and observances
* Roman Empire - first day of the Floralia in honor of Flora
* Bahá'í Faith - Feast of Jamál (Beauty) - First day of the third month
of the Bahá'í Calendar