Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
April 29 is the 119th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (120th in
leap years). There are 246 days remaining.
* 1429 - Hundred Years' War: Joan of Arc relieves Orleans from English
* 1661 - China's Ming Dynasty occupies Taiwan.
* 1672 - Louis XIV of France invades the Netherlands.
* 1770 - James Cook discovers Botany Bay, Australia
* 1861 - American Civil War: Maryland's House of Delegates votes not to
secede from the Union
* 1862 - American Civil War: New Orleans falls to Union forces under
Admiral David Farragut.
* 1903 - 30,000,000 cubic meter landslide kills 70 in Frank, Alberta
* 1916 - Easter Rebellion: Martial law in Ireland is lifted and the
rebellion is officially over with the surrender of Irish nationalists
to British authorities in Dublin.
* 1945 - World War II: The German Army in Italy unconditionally
surrenders to the Allies.
* 1945 - Adolf Hitler marries his long-time partner Eva Braun in a Berlin
bunker and he designates Admiral Karl Doenitz as his successor.
* 1945 - Dachau concentration camp is liberated by United States troops
* 1946 - Former Prime Minister of Japan Hideki Tojo and 28 former
Japanese leaders are indicted for war crimes.
* 1967 - After refusing induction into the United States Army the day
before (citing religious reasons), Muhammad Ali is stripped of his
* 1970 - Vietnam War: United States and South Vietnamese forces invade
Cambodia to hunt Viet Cong.
* 1974 - Watergate Scandal: President Richard Nixon announces the release
of edited transcripts of White House tape recordings related to the
* 1975 - Vietnam War: Operation Frequent Wind - The last American
citizens begin evacuation from Saigon prior to an expected North
Vietnamese takeover. United States involvement in the war comes to an
* 1988 - Glasnost: Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev promises
increased religious freedoms.
* 1992 - Riots in Los Angeles, California, following the acquittal of
police officers charged with excessive force in the beating of Rodney
King. During the next 3 days 54 people will be killed and hundreds of
buildings will be destroyed.
* 1863 - William Randolph Hearst, publisher, subject of film Citizen Kane
* 1885 - Egon Erwin Kisch, journalist and author (+ 1948)
* 1893 - Harold Urey, chemist, winner of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry (+
* 1894 - Paul Hrbiger (+ 1981)
* 1899 - Duke Ellington, pianist, bandleader (+ 1974)
* 1901 - Hirohito, Japanese emperor (+ 1989)
* 1907 - Fred Zinnemann, film director (+ 1997)
* 1909 - Tom Ewell, actor (+ 1994)
* 1919 - Celeste Holm, actress
* 1922 - George Allen, American football coach
* 1929 - Walter Kempowski, author
* 1931 - Frank Auerbach, painter
* 1931 - Lonnie Donegan, musician (+ 2002)
* 1933 - Rod McKuen, poet, composer
* 1936 - Zubin Mehta, musician
* 1937 - Jill Paton Walsh, writer
* 1938 - Larry Niven, science fiction author
* 1942 - Klaus Voormann, illustrator
* 1946 - John Waters, director, writer
* 1947 - Tommy James, musician
* 1951 - Dale Earnhardt, NASCAR racer (+ 2001)
* 1954 - Jerry Seinfeld, comedian, actor, writer, producer
* 1955 - Kate Mulgrew, actress
* 1957 - Daniel Day-Lewis, actor
* 1958 - Michelle Pfeiffer, actress
* 1968 - Carnie Wilson, singer
* 1969 - Master P, rap musician,, composer, actor, athlete, sports agent
* 1969 - Ludwig Chincarini, renaissance man
* 1970 - Andre Agassi, tennis player
* 1970 - Uma Thurman, actress
* 1707 - George Farquhar, Irish dramatist
* 1937 - William Gillette, actor
* 1951 - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian-born philosopher
* 1966 - William Eccles, physicist, radio pioneer
* 1980 - Alfred Hitchcock, director
* 1997 - Mike Royko, columnist
Holidays and observances
* Roman Empire - second day of the Floralia in honor of Flora