Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
April 7 is the 97th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (98th in leap
years). There are 268 days remaining.
* 1348 - Charles University is founded in Prague.
* 1795 - France adopts the metre as the unit of length
* 1831 - Emperor Pedro I of Brazil abdicates in favor of his son, Pedro
* 1856 - Foundation of Nelson College, Nelson, New Zealand
* 1862 - American Civil War: Battle of Shiloh - Union Army under General
Ulysses S. Grant defeat the Confederates near Shiloh, Tennessee.
* 1906 - Mount Vesuvius erupts and devastates Naples.
* 1922 - Teapot Dome scandal: United States Secretary of the Interior
leases Teapot Dome oil reserves in Wyoming.
* 1927 - First long distance public television broadcast (Washington, DC
to New York City; image was of of Commerce Secretary Herbert Hoover).
* 1939 - World War II: Italy invades Albania.
* 1940 - Booker T. Washington becomes the first African American to be
depicted on a United States postage stamp.
* 1945 - World War II: The Japanese battleship Yamato is sunk 200 miles
north of Okinawa while in-route to a suicide mission.
* 1948 - The World Health Organization is established by the United
* 1953 - Dag Hammarskjšld is elected United Nations Secretary General.
* 1954 - President Dwight D. Eisenhower gives his"domino theory" speech
during a news conference.
* 1956 - Spain relinquishes its protectorate in Morocco.
* 1963 - Yugoslavia is proclaimed to be a Socialist republic and Josip
Broz Tito is named President for life.
* 1964 - IBM announces the System/360
* 1967 - Six-Day War: Israeli fighters shoot down seven Syrian MIG-21s.
* 1980 - The United States severs diplomatic relations with Iran and
imposes economic sanctions following the taking of American hostages on
November 4, 1979.
* 1983 - During STS-6, astronauts Story Musgrave and Don Peterson perform
the first space shuttle spacewalk (duration: 4 hours, 10 minutes).
* 1989 - Soviet submarine Komsomolets sinks in the Barents Sea off the
coast of Norway after a fire. 42 sailors died.
* 1990 - Iran Contra Affair: John Poindexter is found guilty of five
charges for his part in the scandal but the convictions were later
reversed after an appeal.
* 1994 - Massacres of Tutsis begin in Kigali, Rwanda.
* 1998 - Citicorp and Travelers Group announce plans to merge creating
the largest financial-services conglomerate in the world, Citigroup.
* 1999 - Kosovo War: Kosovo's main border crossings are closed by Serbian
forces to prevent ethnic Albanians from leaving.
* 2000 - Mars Odyssey is launched.
* 1506 - Saint Francis Xavier, founder of the Society of Jesus (+ 1552)
* 1770 - William Wordsworth, English poet (+ 1850)
* 1772 - Charles Fourier, French philosopher (+ 1837)
* 1873 - John McGraw, baseball coach, manager, player
* 1893 - Allen Dulles, director of the Central Intelligence Agency (+
* 1897 - Walter Winchell, broadcaster, journalist (+ 1972)
* 1904 - Ralph Bunche, diplomat, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize
* 1908 - Percy Faith, composer, musician (+ 1976)
* 1915 - Billie Holiday, American jazz and Blues singer (+ 1959)
* 1915 - Henry Kuttner, science fiction writer (+ 1958)
* 1920 - Ravi Shankar, musician
* 1922 - Mongo Santamaria, Latin jazz musician (+ 2003)
* 1924 - Johannes Mario Simmel, Austrian writer
* 1928 - James Garner, actor
* 1928 - Alan J. Pakula, producer, director (+ 1998)
* 1939 - Francis Ford Coppola, American film director
* 1939 - Sir David Frost, broadcaster, television host
* 1944 - Gerhard Schršder, German Bundeskanzler (chancellor) since 1998
* 1949 - John Oates, musician ("Hall and Oates")
* 1951 - Janis Ian, singer and songwriter
* 1954 - Jackie Chan, actor
* 1954 - Tony Dorsett, American football star
* 1964 - Russell Crowe, actor
* 1614 - El Greco, artist
* 1789 - Abd-ul-Hamid I, Ottoman sultan
* 1858 - Anton Diabelli, music publisher, editor and composer
* 1891 - P. T. Barnum, circus impresario
* 1947 - Henry Ford, automobile manufacturer and industrialist
* 1950 - Walter Huston, Academy Award winning actor
* 1955 - Theda Bara, silent film actress
* 1968 - Jim Clark, racing driver
* 1981 - Norman Taurog, director
* 1997 - Georgi Shonin, cosmonaut
* 1998 - Marjory Stoneman Douglas, preeminent conservationist and
eviromentalist, dies at age 108.
Holidays and observances
* Araw ng Kagitingan was moved this year from April 9 to April 7 to give
the residents a long weekend and help tourism in the Philippines.