Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
August 13 is the 225th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar (226th in
leap years), with 140 days remaining.
* 1521 - Tenochtitlan (present day Mexico City) falls to conquistador
Hernan Fernando Cortes
* 1704 - War of the Spanish Succession - Battle of Blenheim - English and
Austrians victorious over French and Bavarians.
* 1940 - World War II: Battle of Britain begins - The Luftwaffe launches
a series of attacks on British fighter bases and radar installations.
* 1942 - Walt Disney's animated cartoon "Bambi" premiers.
* 1960 - Central African Republic declares independence from France
* 1960 - Chad declares independence from France
* 1961 - German Democratic Republic closes the border between the eastern
and western sectors of Berlin, to frustrate its inhabitants' attempts
to escape to the West.
* 1422 - William Caxton, printer
* 1792 - Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen - queen consort of King William IV of
the United Kingdom
* 1625 - Erasmus Bartholin, physician, mathematician and physicist (+
* 1818 - Lucy Stone, pioneering women's rights activist
* 1820 - Sir George Grove, author, Dictionary of Music and Musicians (+
* 1823 - Goldwin Smith, historian and journalist (+ 1910)
* 1851 - Felix Adler, educator, founder of the Ethical Movement (+ 1933)
* 1860 - Annie Oakley, sharpshooter (+ 1926)
* 1888 - John Logie Baird, television pioneer (+ 1946)
* 1866 - Giovanni Agnelli, industrialist (+ 1945)
* 1895 - Bert Lahr, actor (+ 1967)
* 1899 - Alfred Hitchcock, director (+ 1980)
* 1902 - Felix Wankel, engineer and inventor (+ 1988)
* 1904 - Charles (Buddy) Rogers, actor (+ 1999
* 1912 - Salvador Luria, biologist; Nobel Prize, 1969 (+ 1991)
* 1912 - Ben Hogan, golf champion
* 1919 - George Shearing, musician
* 1920 - Neville Brand, actor (+ 1992)
* 1926 - Fidel Castro, revolutionary and politician
* 1930 - Don Ho, musician
* 1933 - Doctor Jocelyn Elders, United States Surgeon General
* 1935 - Jim (Mudcat) Grant, member of the Baseball Hall of Fame
* 1948 - Kathleen Battle, opera singer
* 1949 - Bobby Clarke, ice hockey star
* 1951 - Dan Fogelberg, singer
* 1952 - Herb Ritts, celebrity photographer
* 1959 - Danny Bonaduce, actor
* 1970 - Alan Shearer, England and Newcastle soccer player.
* 1863 - Eugene Delacroix, painter
* 1946 - H. G. Wells, writer
* 1964 - Gwynne Owen Evans and Peter Anthony Allen, murderers. The last
people to be executed in Great Britain.
* 1995 - Mickey Mantle, Baseball Hall of Fame member
* 1996 - David Tudor, pianist and composer
Holidays and observances
* Roman Empire - Vertumnalias in honor of Vertumnus