Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
December 28 is the 362nd day of the year (363rd in leap years) in the
Gregorian Calendar, with 3 days remaining.
* 418 - St. Boniface I becomes Pope
* 1065 - Westminster Abbey is consecrated.
* 1832 - John C. Calhoun becomes the first Vice President of the United
States to resign.
* 1846 - Iowa is admitted as the 29th U.S. state.
* 1879 - The central part of the Tay Rail Bridge in Dundee, Scotland
collapses as a train passed over it, killing 75.
* 1895 - The Lumiere brothers have their first paying audience at the
Grand Cafe in Boulevard des Capucines -- this date is commonly
considered the debut of the motion picture.
* 1897 - The play Cyrano de Bergerac, by Edmond Rostand, premieres in
* 1902 - The first indoor professional American football game is played
in New York City at Madison Square Garden.
* 1908 - An earthquake rocks Messina, Sicily killing over 75,000.
* 1937 - The Irish Free State becomes the Republic of Ireland.
* 1945 - The United States Congress officially recognizes the Pledge of
* 1950 - The Peak District becomes Great Britain's first National Park.
* 1973 - Alexander Solzhenitsyn publishes Gulag Archipelago.
* 1981 - The first American test-tube baby, Elizabeth Jordan Carr, is
born (Norfolk, Virginia).
* 1991 - Nine are crushed while a crowd pushes their way into a
basketball game at City College of New York.
* 1995 - CompuServe sets a precedent by blocking access to sex-oriented
newsgroups after being pressured by German prosecutors.
* 1856 - Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States (+ 1924)
* 1879 - Billy Mitchell, military aviation pioneer (+ 1936)
* 1882 - Arthur Eddington, astronomer and physicist (+ 1944)
* 1888 - Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, film director (+ 1931)
* 1902 - Mortimer Adler, philosopher
* 1903 - Earl "Fatha" Hines, jazz musician (+ 1983)
* 1905 - Cliff Arquette, actor, comedian ("Charley Weaver") (+ 1974)
* 1908 - Lew Ayres, actor (+ 1996)
* 1922 - Stan Lee, comic book writer
* 1925 - Hildegard Knef, actress, singer and writer
* 1929 - Owen Bieber, labor leader
* 1932 - Roy Hattersley, British politician
* 1932 - Manuel Puig, writer (+ 1990)
* 1934 - Maggie Smith, actress
* 1946 - Edgar Winter, musician
* 1953 - Richard Clayderman, pianist
* 1954 - Denzel Washington, actor
* 1969 - Linus Torvalds, programmer and initiator of Linux
* 1694 - Queen Mary II of England
* 1937 - Maurice Ravel, composer
* 1938 - Florence Lawrence, Hollywood's first "star"
* 1945 - Theodore Dreiser, author
* 1947 - King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy
* 1963 - Paul Hindemith, German composer
* 1981 - Allan Dwan, pioneer film director
* 1983 - William Demarest, actor
* 1983 - Jimmy Demaret, golf champion
* 1983 - Dennis Wilson, musician ("The Beach Boys")
* 1984 - Sam Peckinpah, film director
* 1986 - Andrei Tarkovsky, Russian movie director
* 1999 - Clayton Moore, actor (The Lone Ranger)
* 2001 - William X. Kienzle, novelist
Holidays and observances
* Catholicism: Massacre of the Saint Innocents
* Fools' day in Spain (no April Fool's Day there)