Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
February 18 is the 49th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. There are
316 days remaining (317 in leap years).
* 1685 - Fort St. Louis is established by a Frenchman at Matagorda Bay
thus forming the basis for France's claim to Texas.
* 1841 - The first ongoing filibuster in the United States Senate begins
and lasts until March 11.
* 1848 - Battle of Montereau
* 1856 - The American Party (Know-Nothings) convene in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania to nominate their first Presidential candidate, former
President (Millard Fillmore)
* 1861 - In Montgomery, Alabama Jefferson Davis is inaugurated as the
first and only President of the Confederate States of America.
* 1861 - Victor Emmanuel of Savoy becomes King of Italy
* 1878 - The Lincoln County War begins in Lincoln County, New Mexico
* 1885 - Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is published for the
* 1929 - First Academy Awards are announced
* 1930 - While studying photographs taken in January, Clyde Tombaugh
* 1930 - Elm Farm Ollie becomes the first cow to fly in an airplane and
also the first cow to be milked in an airplane.
* 1932 - Japan declares Manzhouguo (Japanese name for Manchuria)
independent from China
* 1943 - The Nazis arrest the members of the White Rose movement
* 1948 - Eamon de Valera resigns as Taoiseach of Ireland
* 1953 - The first 3D film, Bwana Devil' opens.
* 1953 - Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz sign an $8,000,000 contract to
continue the I Love Lucy television series through 1955.
* 1965 - The Gambia becomes independent from the United Kingdom
* 1970 - The Chicago Eight are found not guilty of conspiring to incite
riots at the 1968 United States Democratic Party national convention.
* 1972 - The California Supreme Court invalidates the state's death
penalty and commutes the sentences of all death row inmates to life in
* 1977 - The Space Shuttle Enterprise test vehicle goes on its maiden
"flight" while sitting on top of a Boeing 747.
* 1998 - Two white separatists were arrested in Nevada and accused of
plotting a biological attack on New York City subways.
* 2001 - During the Daytona 500 race, NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt, known
as "The Intimidator" for his aggressive driving style, is killed in a
* 1516 - Queen Mary I of England (+ 1558)
* 1745 - Alessandro Volta, physicist, eponym for the unit of the electric
potential (+ 1827)
* 1838 - Ernst Mach, Austrian physicist and philosopher
* 1846 - Wilson Barrett, actor
* 1848 - Louis Comfort Tiffany, American glass artist
* 1859 - Sholom Aleichem, writer (+ 1916)
* 1867 - Hedwig Courths-Mahler, novelist (+ 1950)
* 1887 - Nikos Kazantzakis, poet (+ 1957)
* 1890 - Adolphe Menjou, actor (+ 1963)
* 1892 - Wendell Wilkie, politican, Presidential candidate (+ 1944)
* 1896 - Andre Breton, poet and principal theorist of surrealism
* 1898 - Enzo Ferrari, auto racer, manufacturer (+ 1988)
* 1912 - Heinz KŸhn, politician (+ 1992)
* 1920 - Jack Palance, actor
* 1920 - Bill Cullen, game show host (+ 1990)
* 1922 - Helen Gurley Brown, editor, publisher
* 1925 - George Kennedy, actor
* 1929 - Len Deighton, author
* 1931 - Toni Morrison, writer, winner of the Nobel Prize in literature
* 1931 - Bob St. Clair, American football star
* 1931 - Johnny Hart, cartoonist
* 1932 - Milos Forman, film director
* 1933 - Yoko Ono, singer, artist, wife of John Lennon
* 1934 - Paco Rabanne, fashion designer
* 1938 - Istvan Szabo, director
* 1943 - Graeme Garden, writer, comedian, actor
* 1947 - Princess Christina of the Netherlands
* 1947 - Dennis DeYoung, musician ("Styx")
* 1949 - Gary Ridgway, accused of being the Green River Killer
* 1950 - John Hughes, director, producer, writer
* 1952 - Juice Newton, country music entertainer
* 1954 - John Travolta, actor
* 1957 - Vanna White, game show presenter
* 1964 - Matt Dillon, actor
* 1965 - Dr. Dre, rap music performer, music producer
* 1967 - Roberto Baggio, Italian football player
* 901 - Thabit ibn Qurra, Arab astronomer and mathematician
* 1478 - Duke of Clarence, drowned in wine by Richard III
* 1546 - Martin Luther, religious reformer
* 1564 - Michelangelo Buonarroti, Italian artist
* 1933 - James J. Corbett, boxer
* 1957 - Henry Norris Russell, American astronomer
* 1967 - J. Robert Oppenheimer, American physicist
* 2001 - Dale Earnhardt, NASCAR race car driver
* 2001 - Balthus, French painter
* 2001 - Eddie Matthews, Baseball Hall of Famer
Holidays and observances
* Gambia - National Day