Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
January 11 is the 11th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. There are
354 days remaining (355 in leap years).
* 532 - Nika riots in Constantinople
* 1158 - Vladislav II becomes King of Bohemia
* 1569 - First recorded lottery in England.
* 1571 - Austrian nobility is granted Freedom of religion.
* 1693 - Eruption of Mt. Etna.
* 1759 - In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the first American life insurance
company is incorporated.
* 1787 - William Herschel discovers Titania and Oberon, two moons of
* 1805 - Michigan Territory is created.
* 1861 - Alabama secedes from the United States
* 1863 - American Civil War: Battle of Arkansas Post - General John
McClernand and Admiral David Porter capture the Arkansas River for the
* 1867 - Benito Juarez becomes Mexican president again
* 1879 - Anglo-Zulu War begins
* 1908 - Grand Canyon National Monument is created
* 1919 - Romania annexes Transylvania.
* 1922 - First successful treatment with insulin against diabetes.
* 1923 - Troops from France and Belgium occupy the Ruhr area to force
Germany to pay its reparation payments.
* 1935 - Amelia Earhart is the first woman to fly solo from Hawaii to
* 1938 - Frances Moulton is the first woman to become president of a US
* 1942 - Japan declares war on the Netherlands and invades the
Netherlands East Indies.
* 1942 - The Japanese capture Kuala Lumpur.
* 1943 - The United States and United Kingdom give up territorial rights
* 1946 - Enver Hoxha declares the people's republic of Albania with
himself as dictator.
* 1949 - First recorded case of snowfall in Los Angeles, California.
* 1960 - Chad declares its independence.
* 1962 - Eruption of the volcano Huascaran in Peru; 4000 deaths.
* 1963 - The Whiskey-a-Go-Go night club in Los Angeles, the first disco
in the USA, is opened.
* 1964 - United States Surgeon General Luther Terry reports that smoking
may be hazardous for one's health. First such statement from US
* 1972 - East Pakistan becomes Bangladesh
* 1973 - Beginning of the Watergate burglars trial.
* 1980 - Nigel Short, 14 years old, is the youngest chess player to be
awarded the degree of International Master.
* 1990 - Massive (200,000) demonstration in favor of Lithuanian
* 1992 - Paul Simon is the first major artist to tour South Africa after
the end of the cultural boycott.
* 1757 - Alexander Hamilton, first United States Secretary of the
Treasury (+ 1804)
* 1815 - John A. Macdonald, first Prime Minister of Canada (+ 1891)
* 1859 - George Nathaniel Curzon (Lord Curzon), British statesman
* 1860 - Marie Bashkirtseff, artist, (+ 1884)
* 1885 - Alice Paul, women's rights activist
* 1899 - Eva LeGallienne, actress (+ 1991)
* 1903 - Alan Paton, writer
* 1906 - Albert Hofmann, chemist, discoverer of LSD effects
* 1923 - Jacqueline Maillan, French actress
* 1924 - Slim Harpo, musician
* 1925 - Grant Tinker, television executive
* 1925 - William Styron, writer
* 1928 - David L. Wolper, producer
* 1930 - Rod Taylor, Australian actor
* 1934 - Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada
* 1938 - Arthur Scargill British trade union leader.
* 1942 - Clarence Clemens, musician (E Street Band)
* 1943 - Jim Hightower, radio host, author
* 1946 - Naomi Judd, country music singer
* 1947 - Bryan Robson, football player
* 1952 - Lee Ritenour, musician, composer
* 1952 - Ben Crenshaw, golfer
* 1960 - Stanley Tucci, actor
* 1971 - Mary J. Blige, pop singer
* 314 - St. Miltiades, Pope
* 705 - John VI, Pope
* 1055 - Constantine IX Monomachos, emperor of the Byzantine Empire
* 1928 - Thomas Hardy, writer
* 1958 - Edna Purviance, actress
* 1966 - Alberto Giacometti, Italian sculptor
* 1988 - Pappy Boyington, aviator
* 1970 - Richmal Crompton, author
Holidays and observances
* Albania - Republic Day (1946)
* Chad - Independence Day (1960)
* Japan - Kagami-Biraki (Rice Cakes Festival)
* Nepal - Unity Day
* Roman Empire - First day of Carmentalia in honor of Carmen
* Feast of the Baptism of Jesus Christ