Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
July 16 is the 197th day (198th in leap years) of the year in the Gregorian
Calendar, with 168 days remaining.
* 1779 - American Revolutionary War: United States forces led by General
Anthony Wayne capture Stony Point, New York from British troops.
* 1783 - Grants of land in Canada to American loyalists announced.
* 1790 - The signing of the Residence Bill establishes a site along the
Potomac River as the District of Columbia (seat of government) of the
United States (see Washington, DC).
* 1862 - American Civil War: David G. Farragut becomes the first United
States Navy rear admiral.
* 1880 - First woman licensed to practice medicine in Canada - Dr. Emily
* 1918 - Russian Revolution: At Ekaterinburg, Bolsheviks execute Czar
Nicholas II of Russia and his family.
* 1942 - Holocaust: On order from the Vichy France government headed by
Pierre Laval, French police officers round-up 13,000-20,000 Jews and
imprison them in the Winter Velodrome.
* 1945 - Manhattan Project: The Atomic Age begins when the United States
successfully detonates a plutonium-based test nuclear weapon at the
Trinity site near Alamogordo, New Mexico.
* 1957 - United States Marine Major John Glenn flies a F8U supersonic jet
from California to New York in 3 hours, 23 minutes and 8 seconds
setting a new transcontinental speed record.
* 1969 - Apollo program: Apollo 11 launches off from Cape Kennedy,
Florida with the goal to become the first manned space mission to land
on the moon.
* 1973 - Watergate Scandal: Former White House aide Alexander P.
Butterfield informs the United States Senate committee investigating
scandal that President Richard Nixon had secretly recorded potentially
* 1979 - Iraqi President Hasan al-Bakr resigns and Saddam Hussein
* 1990 - In the Philippines, an earthquake measuring 7.7 on the Richter
Scale kills over 1600.
* 1999 - Off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, a plane piloted by John F.
Kennedy Jr. crashes with his wife Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and her
sister Lauren Bessette on board. All three are killed in the crash.
* 2001 - The FBI arrests Dmitry Sklyarov at a convention in Las Vegas for
violating a provision of the DMCA.
* 1486 - Andrea del Sarto, painter (+ 1530)
* 1821 - Mary Baker Eddy, founded Christian Science (+ 1910)
* 1834 - Franz Adolf Lderitz, salesman and politician (+ 1886)
* 1872 - Roald Amundsen, explorer, discovered South Pole (+ 1928)
* 1888 - Percy Kilbride, actor (Pa Kettle) (+ 1964)
* 1896 - Trygve Lie, the first United Nations Secretary General (+ 1968)
* 1902 - Georg Schwarz, writer (+ 1991)
* 1903 - Carmen Lombardo - singer, saxophonist, composer, arranger (+
* 1907 - Barbara Stanwyck, actress
* 1907 - Dr. Frances Horwich, "Miss Francis" from Ding Dong School (+
* 1911 - Ginger Rogers, actress and dancer
* 1913 - Peter van Eyck, actor (+ 1969)
* 1924 - Bess Myerson, former Miss America, television personality
* 1925 - Cal Tjader, musician (+ 1982)
* 1948 - Rubn Blades, actor, musician, politician
* 1952 - Stewart Copeland, musician
* 1963 - Phoebe Cates, actress
* 1963 - Fatboy Slim, musician
* 1964 - Miguel Indurain, Spanish cyclist
* 1848 - Jons Jacob Berzelius, Swedish chemist
* 1979 - Alfred Deller, singer, early modern countertenor
* 1981 - Harry Chapin, singer and songwriter
* 1999 - John F. Kennedy Jr.
* 2003 - Celia Cruz, Cuban salsa musician
* 2003 - Carol Shields, Canadian author
Holidays and observances
* Botswana - President's Day (2nd day)