Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
July 21 is the 202nd day (203rd in leap years) of the year in the Gregorian
Calendar, with 165 days remaining.
* 1718 - Treaty of Passarowitz signed.
* 1774 - Russo-Turkish War: Russia and the Ottoman Empire sign the Treaty
of Kuchuk-Kainarji ending six years of war.
* 1831 - Inauguration of Leopold I of Belgium, first king of the
* 1861 - American Civil War: First Battle of Bull Run - At Manassas
Junction, Virginia, the first major battle of the war begins
* 1865 - In the market square of Springfield, Missouri, Wild Bill Hickok
shoots Dave Tutt dead in what is regarded as the first true western
* 1873 - At Adair, Iowa, Jesse James and the James-Younger gang pull off
the first successful train robbery in the American West (US$3,000 from
the Rock Island Express).
* 1877 - A day after bloody rioting in Baltimore from Baltimore and Ohio
Railroad workers and the deaths of 9 rail workers at the hands of the
Maryland militia, workers in Pittsburgh stage a sympathy strike that is
met with an assault by the state militia - Pittsburgh then erupts into
* 1925 - Scopes Trial: In Dayton, Tennessee, high school biology teacher
John T. Scopes is found guilty of teaching evolution in class and fined
* 1931 - CBS's New York City station begins broadcasting the first
regular seven days a week television schedule in the U. S. The first
broadcast included Mayor James J. Walker, Kate Smith, and George
* 1944 - A day after the July 20 Plot to assassinate him, Adolf Hitler
makes an announcement on German radio pledging that "accounts will be
* 1944 - World War II: Battle of Guam - American troops land on Guam
starting the battle (ends on August 10).
* 1954 - First Indochina War: The Geneva Conference partitions Vietnam
into North Vietnam and South Vietnam.
* 1961 - Mercury program: Gus Grissom piloting the Mercury 4 capsule
"Liberty Bell 7" becomes the second American to go into orbit around
* 1970 - After 11 years of construction, the Aswan High Dam in Egypt is
* 1984 - In Jackson, Michigan, a factory robot crushes a worker against a
safety bar in apparently the first robot-related death in the United
* 1997 - The fully restored USS Constitution (aka "Old Ironsides")
celebrates her 200th birthday by setting sail for the first time in 116
* 2002 - Telecom giant WorldCom files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
protection in the largest such filling in United States history.
* 2003 - The last old-style Volkswagen Beetle rolled of its production
line in Pueblo, Mexico. It was car number 21,529,464 of the model, and
was immediately shipped of to the company's museum in Wolfsburg,
Germany. In true Mexican fashion, a mariachi band serenaded the last
car in the 68-year-old history.
* 1810 - Henri Victor Regnault chemist and physicist
* 1858 - Lovis Corinth, painter and graphic artist (+ 1925)
* 1870 - Emil Orlik, painter and graphic artist (+ 1932)
* 1893 - Hans Fallada, writer (+ 1947)
* 1899 - Hart Crane, poet (+ 1932)
* 1899 - Ernest Hemingway, author (+ 1961)
* 1911 - Marshall McLuhan, author (+ 1980)
* 1920 - Isaac Stern, violinist (+ 2001)
* 1924 - Don Knotts, actor
* 1926 - Norman Jewison, film director
* 1935 - Norbert BlŸm, politician
* 1938 - Janet Reno, former Attorney General of the United States
* 1944 - Paul Wellstone, U.S. Senator: A Democrat from Minnesota
* 1948 - Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam), singer
* 1948 - Garry Trudeau, cartoonist
* 1952 - Robin Williams, comedian
* 1957 - Jon Lovitz, comedian
* 1968 - Brandi Chastain, American soccer player
* 1978 - Josh Hartnett, actor
* 1425 - Manuel II Palaeologus, Byzantine Emperor
* 1796 - Robert Burns, poet
* 1870 - Joseph Strauss, composer
* 1938 - Owen Wister, author
* [ - Charlie Paddock, American athlete
* 1948 - David Wark Griffith, film director
* 1967 - Basil Rathbone, actor
* 1968 - Ruth St. Denis, dancer, choreographer
* 1982 - Dave Garroway, television host
* 1998 - Alan Shepard, astronaut
* 1998 - Robert Young, actor
Holidays and observances
* Belgium: National holiday (1831 - inauguration of Leopold I, first king
of the Belgians)
* Bolivia: Martyrs' Day
* Guam: Liberation Day (1944)