Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
March 28 is the 87th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar (88th in Leap
years). There are 278 days remaining.
* 845 - Paris is sacked by Viking raiders, probably under Ragnar Lodbrok,
who collect a huge ransom in exchange for leaving.
* 1776 - Juan Bautista de Anza finds the site for the Presidio of San
* 1834 - The United States Senate censures President Andrew Jackson for
his actions in defunding the Second Bank of the United States.
* 1854 - Crimean War: United Kingdom and France declare war on Russia.
* 1862 - American Civil War: Battle of Glorieta Pass - In New Mexico,
Union forces succeed in stopping the Confederate invasion of New Mexico
territory. The battle began on March 26.
* 1910 - Henri Fabre becomes the first person to fly a seaplane after
taking off from a water runway near Martinques, France.
* 1930 - Constantinople and Angora change their names to Istanbul and
* 1939 - Spanish Civil War: Generalissimo Francisco Franco conquers
Madrid, ending the war.
* 1942 - World War II: In occupied France, United Kingdom naval forces
raid the German-occupied port of St. Nazaire.
* 1964 - The first pirate radio station, Radio Caroline, is established.
* 1979 - In Pennsylvania, a pump in the reactor cooling system fails at
Three Mile Island, resulting in the evaporation of some contaminated
water and almost causing a nuclear meltdown.
* 1990 - President George H. W. Bush presents Jesse Owens with the
Congressional Gold Medal.
* 1994 - In South Africa, Zulus and African National Congress supporters
battle in central Johannesburg resulting in eighteen deaths.
* 2002 - The exhibit "The Italians: Three Centuries of Italian Art" opens
at the National Gallery of Australia.
* 1609 - King Frederick III of Denmark (+ 1670)
* 1862 - Aristide Briand, politician, winner of the Nobel Prize in peace
1926 (+ 1932)
* 1868 - Maxim Gorky, author (+ 1936)
* 1890 - Paul Whiteman, bandleader
* 1897 - Sepp Herberger, football coach (+ 1977)
* 1902 - Dame Flora Robson, actress (+ 1984)
* 1904 - Werner Bahlsen, biscuit producer (+ 1985)
* 1905 - Marlin Perkins, naturalist, television host (+ 1986)
* 1921 - Dirk Bogarde, actor (+ 1999)
* 1924 - Freddie Bartholomew, actor (+ 1992)
* 1928 - Zbigniew Brzezinski, National security advisor
* 1936 - Mario Vargas Llosa, author and politician
* 1955 - Reba McEntire, country music singer, actress
* 1970 - Vince Vaughn, actor
* 193 - Pertinax, Roman Emperor (assassination)
* 1794 - Marquis de Condorcet, mathematician, philosopher, and political
* 1814 - Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, inventor of the guillotine
* 1868 - James Thomas Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan, British military
* 1870 - George Henry Thomas, American general
* 1881 - Modest Mussorgsky, Russian composer
* 1914 - Edmund Muskie, United States politician (+ 1996)
* 1941 - Virginia Woolf, writer
* 1943 - Sergei Rachmaninov, composer and pianist
* 1944 - Rick Barry, basketball star
* 1948 - Dianne Wiest, actress
* 1953 - Jim Thorpe, athlete
* 1958 - W.C. Handy - Blues composer
* 1969 - Dwight D. Eisenhower, US General of the Army, 34th President of
the United States
* 1979 - Emmett Kelly, clown
* 1987 - Maria von Trapp, singer
* 1994 - Eug¸ne Ionesco, playwright
* 2000 - Anthony Powell, British novelist