Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
May 13 is the 133rd day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (134th in leap
years). There are 232 days remaining.
* 1497 - Pope Alexander VI excommunicates Girolamo Savonarola.
* 1568 - Battle of Langside: the forces of Mary Queen of Scots are
defeated by a confederacy of Scottish Protestants under James Stewart,
Earl of Moray, her half-brother.
* 1607 - Jamestown, Virginia is settled as an English colony.
* 1779 - War of Bavarian Succession: Russian and French mediators at the
Congress of Teschen negotiate an end to the war. In the agreement
Austria receives the a part of its territory that was taken from them
(the Inn District).
* 1787 - Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth, England with eleven
ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.
* 1830 - Ecuador gains its independence.
* 1846 - Mexican-American War: The United States declares war on Mexico.
* 1861 - American Civil War: Victoria of the United Kingdom issues a
"proclamation of neutrality" which recognizes the breakaway states as
having belligerent rights.
* 1864 - American Civil War: Battle of Resaca - the battle begins with
Union General Sherman fighting toward Atlanta.
* 1865 - American Civil War: Battle of Palmito Ranch - In far south
Texas, more than a month after Confederate General Lee's surrender, the
last land battle of the civil war ends with a Union victory.
* 1880 - In Menlo Park, New Jersey, Thomas Edison performs the first test
of his electric railway.
* 1888 - Brazil abolishes slavery.
* 1912 - In the United Kingdom, the Royal Flying Corps (now the Royal Air
Force) in established.
* 1913 - Igor Sikorsky becomes the first person to pilot a four engine
* 1917 - Three peasant children claim to see the Blessed Virgin Mary
above a holmoak tree in Cova da Irianear near Fatima, Portugal.
* 1940 - World War II: Nazi Germany's conquest of France begins as the
German army crosses the Meuse River.
* 1943 - World War II: German Afrika Korps and Italian troops in North
Africa surrender to Allied forces.
* 1958 - During a visit to Caracas, Venezuela, Vice President Richard M.
Nixon's car is attacked by anti-American demonstrators.
* 1981 - Mehemet Ali Agca attempts to assassinate Pope John Paul II at
St. Peter's Square in Rome.
* 1985 - Philadelphia's mayor orders police to storm the radical group's
MOVE headquarters to end a stand-off. The police drop an explosive
device into the headquarters killing 11 MOVE members and destroying the
homes of 250 city residents in the resulting fire.
* 1996 - Severe thunderstorms and a tornado in Bangladesh kills 600.
* 1998 - Following India's second round of nuclear tests the United
States and Japan impose economic sanctions on the nation.
* 1717 - Empress Maria Theresa of Austria (+ 1780)
* 1842 - Arthur Sullivan, composer (+ 1900)
* 1882 - Georges Braque, painter (+ 1963)
* 1907 - Dame Daphne du Maurier, author (+ 1989)
* 1914 - Joe Louis, boxer (+ 1981)
* 1923 - Bea Arthur, actress
* 1927 - Herbert Ross, director (+ 2001)
* 1931 - Jim Jones, cult leader (+ 1978)
* 1934 - Adolf Muschg, author
* 1937 - Roger Zelazny, science fiction author (+ 1995)
* 1937 - Roch Carrier, Canadian author of fiction
* 1939 - Harvey Keitel, actor
* 1941 - Ritchie Valens, singer (+ 1959)
* 1941 - Senta Berger, actress
* 1944 - Armistead Maupin, author
* 1945 - Magic Dick, musician ("The J. Geils Band")
* 1950 - Stevie Wonder, singer, pianist, bassist, drummer
* 1961 - Dennis Rodman, basketball player, actor
* 1966 - Darius Rucker, musician ("Hootie & the Blowfish")
* 1884 - Cyrus McCormick, inventor
* 1916 - Sholom Aleichem, author
* 1930 - Fridtjof Nansen, explorer
* 1961 - Gary Cooper, actor
* 1972 - Dan Blocker, actor
* 1975 - Bob Wills, country musician
* 1988 - Willem Drees, Dutch prime-minister
* 1999 - Gene Sarazen, golfer
Holidays and Observances
* Roman Empire - Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae)