Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
September 14 is the 257th day of the year (258th in leap years). There are
108 days remaining.
* 1752 - The British Empire adopts the Gregorian calendar, skipping
eleven days (September 2 was followed directly by September 14 this
* 1812 - Russian army burns Moscow to prevent Napoleon from capturing it
* 1812 - Francis Scott Key writes The Star-Spangled Banner
* 1847 - Winfield Scott captures Mexico City
* 1886 - Typewriter ribbon patented
* 1901 - Theodore Roosevelt becomes President of the United States.
* 1917 - Republican government declared in Russia
* 1923 - Miguel Primo de Rivera becomes dictator of Spain
* 1944 - United States Marines land on the island of Peleliu
* 1948 - Groundbreaking for the United Nations headquarters in New York
* 1959 - The Soviet probe Luna 2 crashes onto the Moon, becoming the
first man-made object to reach it.
* 1960 - The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is
* 1964 - The opening of the third period of Second Vatican Council
* 1965 - The opening of the fourth and final period of Second Vatican
* 1984 - Joe Kittinger becomes the first person to fly a hot air balloon
solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
* 1975 - The first American saint, Elizabeth Ann Seton, is canonized by
Pope John Paul II
* 2000 - Juan Antonio Samaranch leaves the presidence of the
International Olympic Comitee (IOC), after 20 years.
* 1760 - Luigi Cherubini, composer
* 1769 - Alexander von Humboldt, naturalist and explorer
* 1849 - Ivan Pavlov, scientist (+ 1936)
* 1867 - Charles Gibson, artist (+ 1944)
* 1879 - Margaret Sanger, birth control advocate (+ 1966)
* 1899 - Hal Wallis, film producer (+ 1986)
* 1914 - Clayton Moore, actor (+ 1999)
* 1921 - Ruth Brooks Flippen, television writer (+ 1981)
* 1923 - Bud Palmer, sports reporter
* 1933 - Zoe Caldwell, actress
* 1933 - Harve Presnell, actor
* 1934 - Kate Millett, feminist writer
* 1936 - Walter Koenig, actor
* 1938 - Nicol Williamson, actor
* 1948 - Sam Neill, actor
* 1959 - Mary Frances, actress
* 1971 - Kimberly Williams, actress
* 1973 - Nas, rap music singer
* 258 - Cyprian, early Christian writer
* 891 - Pope Stephen V
* 1321 - Dante Aligheri, author
* 1638 - John Harvard, clergyman, namesake of Harvard College
* 1851 - James Fenimore Cooper, author
* 1852 - Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, British general and
* 1899 - Henry Bliss, first automobile fatality
* 1901 - United States President William McKinley
* 1927 - Isadora Duncan, dancer
* 1936 - Irving Thalberg, film producer
* 1960 - Sir Arthur Percy Morris Fleming, radar pioneer
* 1966 - Gertrude Berg, actress
* 1982 - Bashir Gemayel, President of Lebanon
* 1982 - Princess Grace of Monaco
* 1984 - Janet Gaynor, Academy Award winning actress
* 1996 - Juliet Prowse, actress, dancer
* 2000 - Beah Richards, actress
* Eastern Orthodox Church Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the
discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena,
mother of Constantine.
* In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian mysteries, during
which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.