Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
* February 27 - American Civil War: The first Northern prisoners arrive
at the Confederate prison at Andersonville, Georgia.
* March 10 - American Civil War: The Red River Campaign begins as Union
troops reach Alexandria, Louisiana.
* April 22 - The United States Congress passes the Coinage Act of 1864
which mandates that the inscription "In God We Trust" needs to be
placed on all coins minted as United States currency.
* May 7 - American Civil War: The Army of the Potomac, under General
Ulysses S. Grant, breaks off from the Battle of the Wilderness and
* May 11 - American Civil War: Battle of Yellow Tavern - Confederate
General JEB Stuart is mortally wounded at Yellow Tavern, Virginia.
* May 12 - American Civil War: Battle of Spotsylvania Court House: The
"Bloody Angle" - thousands of Union and Confederate soldiers die.
* May 13 - American Civil War: Battle of Resaca - the battle begins with
Union General Sherman fighting toward Atlanta.
* May 15 - American Civil War: Battle of New Market, Virginia - Students
from the Virginia Military Institute fight alongside the Confederate
Army to force Union General Franz Sigel out of the Shenandoah Valley.
* May 20 - American Civil War: Battle of Bermuda Hundred - In Virginia,
3,000 Confederates and l,200 Union troops are killed in this Union
* May 26 - Montana is organized as a United States territory.
* July 20 - American Civil War: Battle of Peachtree Creek - Near Atlanta,
Georgia, Confederate forces led by General John Bell Hood
unsuccessfully attack Union troops under General William T. Sherman.
* July 22 - American Civil War: Battle of Atlanta - Outside of Atlanta,
Georgia, Confederate General John Bell Hood leads an unsuccessful
attack on Union troops under General William T. Sherman on Bald Hill.
* July 24 - American Civil War: Battle of Kernstown - Confederate General
Jubal Early defeats Union troops led by General George Crook in an
effort to keep Yankees out of the Shenandoah Valley.
* July 28 - American Civil War: Battle of Ezra Church begins -
Confederate troops led by General John Bell Hood make a third
unsuccessful attempt to drive Union forces under General William T.
Sherman from Atlanta, Georgia.
* July 29 - American Civil War: Confederate spy Belle Boyd is arrested by
Union troops and detained at the Old Capitol Prison in Washington, DC.
* July 30 - American Civil War: Battle of the Crater - Union forces
attempt to break Confederate lines by exploding a large bomb under
* August 5 - American Civil War: Battle of Mobile Bay begins - At Mobile
Bay near Mobile, Alabama, Admiral David Farragut leads a Union flotilla
through Confederate defenses and seals one of the last major Southern
* August 18 - American Civil War: Battle of Weldon Railroad - Forces
under Union General Ulysses S. Grant try to cut a vital Confederate
supply-line into Petersburg, Virginia, by attacking the Weldon Railroad
forcing the Confederates to use wagons.
* August 22 - International Red Cross founded in Geneva, Switzerland.
* September 1 - American Civil War: Confederate General John Bell Hood
evacuates Atlanta, Georgia after a four month siege mounted by Union
General William T. Sherman.
* September 1 - 8 - Delegates from the Canadian colonies meet at the
Charlottetown Conference to discuss Canadian Confederation.
* September 2 - American Civil War: Union forces under General William T.
Sherman enter Atlanta, Georgia a day after the Confederate defenders
fled the city.
* September 7 - American Civil War: Atlanta, Georgia is evacuated on
orders of Union General William Tecumseh Sherman.
* October 2 - American Civil War: Battle of Saltville - Union forces
attack Saltville, Virginia but are defeated by Confederate troops.
* October 9 - American Civil War: Battle of Tom's Brook - Union
cavalrymen in the Shenandoah Valley defeat Confederate forces at Tom's
* October 28 - American Civil War: Second Battle of Fair Oaks ends -
Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant withdraw from Fair Oaks,
Virginia, after failing to breach the Confederate defenses around
* October 30 - Second war of Schleswig concluded. Duke Frederick and the
Danish Crown recognize Prussia's and Austria's annexation of Schleswig,
Holstein and Lauenburg.
* October 30 - Helena, Montana is founded after four miners discover gold
at "Last Chance Gulch."
* October 31 - Nevada is admitted as the 36th U.S. state.
* November - Abraham Lincoln defeats George B. McClellan in the U.S.
* James Clerk Maxwell discovers Microwaves
* First Geneva Convention
* Danewerk destroyed
* January 8 - Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence, second in line heir
to the throne of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
* January 13 -- Wilhelm Wien, physicist
* March 13 - Alexej von Jawlensky, Russian impressionist painter
* March 19 - Charles Russell, artist (+ 1926)
* April 21 - Max Weber, sociologist (+ 1920)
* October 25 - Alexander Tikhonovich Grechaninov, composer (+ 1956)
* November 24 - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, painter
* January 13 - Stephen Foster, composer of Camptown Races, Oh! Susannah
* May 19 - Nathaniel Hawthorne, author
* Roger Taney - United States Supreme Court Justice
* Tuanku Imam Bonjol - Indonesian religious and military leader
* Emil Nobel - the younger brother of Alfred Nobel killed in their
experiemnts of nitroglycerin.