Mount Vernon (plantation)Mount Vernon was the home of George Washington. Built of wood in neoclassical Georgian style, the estate is located in Alexandria, Virginia on the banks of the Potomac River. The original home was built in 1743 by Washington's half-brother, Lawrence Washington (although some sources credit Lawrence's father Augustine) and was named in honor of Admiral Edward Vernon under whom Lawrence served in mid 18th century British campaigns against the Spanish in the West Indies. However, George was responsible for a great number of additions and improvements to the structures. George inherited the estate in 1752. From 1759 until the American Revolutionary War, Washington, who at the time aspired to become a prominent agriculturist, operated the estate as five separate farms. Washington took a scientific approach to farming and kept extensive and meticulous records of both labor and results. Following his service in the war, Washington returned to Mount Vernon and in 1785-1786 spent a great deal of effort in improving the landscaping of the estate. It is estimated that during his terms as US President (1789-1797) Washington spent 434 days in residence at Mount Vernon. After his presidency, Washington tended repairs to the buildings, socializing, and further gardening. Mount Vernon is also well known for its exceptional landscaping and ancillary buildings. The remains of George and Martha Washington, as well as other family members, are entombed on the grounds. In 1860, Mount Vernon Ladies' Association of the Union acquired the mansion and a portion of the land for US $200,000, rescuing it from a state of disrepair and neglect. The mansion has been restored, complete with period furniture and fixings, and today serves as a popular tourist attraction.