Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
* January 28 - The Carnegie Institution is founded in Washington, DC with
a $10 million gift from Andrew Carnegie.
* France, Loisy's L'vangile et l'Eglise which inaugurates the Modernist
* February 11 - Police beat up universal suffrage demonstrators in
* March 10 - Circuit Court's decision disallows Thomas Edison from having
a monopoly on motion picture technology.
* March 10 - Boer War: South African Boers win their last battle over
British forces, with the capture of a British general and 200 of his
* April 2 - "Electric Theatre", the first movie theater in the United
States , opens in Los Angeles, California.
* May 8 - In Martinique, Mount Pelee erupts destroys the town of St.
Pierre and kills over 30,000 people. Only a small handful of St.
Pierre's residents survived the blast.
* May 15 - In a field outside Grass Valley, California, Lyman Gilmore
reportedly becomes the first person to fly a powered airplane (a
* May 17 - Archaeologist Spyridon Stais finds the Antikythera mechanism
* May 20 - Cuba gains independence from the United States
* August 9 - Edward VII is crowned king of the United Kingdom.
Art, Culture & Fashion
* 1902 in sports
o January 1 - The first Rose Bowl game is played in Pasadena,
o March 4 - In Chicago, Illinois, the American Automobile
Association is established.
o December 28 - The first indoor professional American football game
is played in New York City at Madison Square Garden.
* January 6 - Max Gde, attorney (+ 1984)
* January 20 - Nazim Hikmet, lyricist and dramatist († 1963)
* January 31 - Alva Mydral, politician (+ 1986)
* January 31 - Tallulah Bankhead, actress (+ 1968)
* February 1 - Langston Hughes writer
* February 4 - Charles Lindbergh American aviator
* February 8 - Lyle Talbot, actor (+ 1996)
* February 10 - Walter Houser Brattain, scientist, winner of the Nobel
Prize in Physics in 1956
* February 11 - Arne Jacobsen Danish architect/designer
* February 20 - Ansel Adams, photographer (+ 1984)
* February 27 - John Steinbeck American writer
* February 27 - Gene Sarazen, golfer
* March 7 - Heinz Rhmann, actor (+ 1994)
* March 9 - Will Geer, actor (+ 1978)
* March 16 - Leon Roppolo, jazz clarinetist (+ 1943)
* March 17 - Bobby Jones, golfer (+ 1971)
* March 21 - Son House, blues musician
* March 24 - Thomas Dewey, politician (+ 1971)
* March 28 - Dame Flora Robson, actress (+ 1984)
* March 29 - William Walton, composer
* March 29 - Marcel Aym, narrator and dramatist, humorist and satirist
* April 4 - Louise Leveque de Vilmorin, actress (+ 1969)
* May 6 - Max Ophls, director (+ 1957)
* May 10 - Anatole Litvak, film director (+ 1974)
* May 10 - David O. Selznick, Hollywood film producer (+ 1965)
* May 15 - Richard J. Daley, mayor of Chicago, Illinois (+ 1976)
* May 18 - Meredith Willson, composer (+ 1984)
* May 21 - Marcel Lajos Breuer, architect (+ 1981)
* July 4 - George Murphy, dancer, actor, Senator from California (+ 1992)
* July 26 - Gracie Allen, actress, comedienne
* August 8 - Paul Dirac, physicist
* August 10 - Norma Shearer, Academy Award winning actress (+ 1983)
* August 11 - Alfredo Binda, Italian cyclist
* August 19 - Ogden Nash, poet
* August 22 - Leni Riefenstahl, German film director
* August 25 - Stefan Wolpe, composer (+ 1972)
* October 5 - Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's Corporation
* March 26 - Cecil Rhodes, imperialist
* May 26 - Almon Strowger, developed the Strowger switch
* July 4 - Swami Vivekananda
* September 5 - Rudolf Virchow, German doctor, pathologist, biologist,
* September 29 - Emile Zola, French author
* October 26 - Elizabeth Cady Stanton, women's rights activist
* Jacint Verdaguer, Catalan poet
* Physics - Hendrik Antoon Lorentz, Pieter Zeeman
* Chemistry - Hermann Emil Fischer
* Medicine - Ronald Ross
* Literature - Christian Matthias Theodor Mommsen
* Peace - lie Ducommun, Charles Albert Gobat