Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
May 19 is the 139th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar (140th in leap
years). There are 226 days remaining.
* 1535 - French explorer Jacques Cartier sets sail for his second voyage
to North America with 3 ships, 110 men, and Chief Donnacona's 2 sons
(who Cartier kidnapped during his first voyage).
* 1536 - Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII of England is
beheaded for adultery.
* 1568 - Queen Elizabeth I of England arrests Mary Queen of Scots.
* 1643 - Battle of Rocroi: French vicory over the Spanish at Rocroi,
* 1749 - King George II of Great Britain grants the Ohio Company a
charter of land around the forks of the Ohio River.
* 1780 - Never-explained complete darkness falls on Eastern Canada and
the New England states at 2 pm.
* 1802 - The LŽgion d'Honneur is founded by first consul Napoleon
* 1848 - Mexican-American War: Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo - Mexico
ratifies the treaty thus ending the war and ceding Texas, California
and most of Arizona and New Mexico to the United States for $15 million
* 1897 - Oscar Wilde is released from prison.
* 1919 - Mustafa Kemal Ataturk moved to Samsun from Istanbul by an old
ship called Bandirma with his few friends to work seperately from
Ottoman Government in order to prepare the nation to the Independence
* 1921 - The Emergency Quota Act passes the United States Congress
establishing national quotas on immigrantion.
* 1961 - Venera program: Venera 1 becomes the first manmade object to
fly-by another planet by passing Venus (however the probe had lost
contact with earth a month earlier and did not send back any data).
* 1971 - Mars probe program: Mars 2 is launched by the Soviet Union.
* 1991 - Willy T. Ribbs became the first African-American driver to
qualify for the Indianapolis 500.
* 1999 - Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is released movie threatres across
the United States setting a new record for opening day sales at $28.5
* 2001 - One child policy: Zhonghua Sun is put to death by Chinese
government officials because she refused to be sterilized.
* 1762 - Johann Gottlieb Fichte, philosopher (+ 1814)
* 1795 - Johns Hopkins, philanthropist (+ 1873)
* 1827 - Paul Amand Challemel-Lacour, French statesman (+ 1896)
* 1844 - Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (+ 1818)
* 1870 - Albert Fish, serial killer (+ 1936)
* 1882 - Mohammed Mossadegh, Iranian prime minister (+ 1967)
* 1890 - Ho Chi Minh, Vietnamese leader (+ 1969)
* 1891 - Oswald Boelcke, World War I fighter ace (+ 1916)
* 1897 - Frank Luke, World War I fighter ace (+ 1918)
* 1906 - Gerd Bucerius, publisher and publicist (+ 1995)
* 1908 - Percy Williams, Canadian athlete (+ 1982)
* 1909 - Bruce Bennett, actor
* 1914 - Go Seigen, Go player
* 1914 - Max Perutz, molecular biologist (+ 2002)
* 1921 - Karel van het Reve, Dutch writer (+ 1999)
* 1924 - Sandy Wilson, British composer
* 1925 - Malcolm X, civil rights activist (+ 1965)
* 1925 - Pol Pot, Khmer Rouge leader(+ 1998)
* 1926 - Peter Zadek, film and theatre director
* 1930 - Lorraine Hansberry, playwright (+ 1965)
* 1934 - James Lehrer, journalist, co-anchor
* 1939 - Dick Scobee, astronaut (+ 1986)
* 1941 - Nora Ephron, screenwriter
* 1942 - Gary Kildall, computer programmer (+ 1997)
* 1945 - Pete Townshend, guitarist, lyricist
* 1946 - AndrŽ the Giant, wrestler) (+ 1993)
* 1948 - Grace Jones, singer, actress
* 1952 - Joey Ramone, singer (+ 2001)
* 1953 - Victoria Wood, British comic actress
* 1956 - James Gosling, the "father" of Java programming language
* 804 - Alcuin, monk from York, England
* 1102 - Stephen, Count of Blois
* 1296 - Pope Celestine V
* 1536 - Anne Boleyn
* 1645 - Miyamoto Musashi, Japanese swordsman
* 1715 - Charles Montagu, Chancellor of the Exchequer
* 1786 - John Stanley, English composer
* 1795 - Josiah Bartlett, a signatory of the Declaration of Independence
* 1821 - Camille Jordan, French politician
* 1825 - Comte, founder of French socialism
* 1864 - Nathaniel Hawthorne, author
* 1895 - Jose Marti, Cuban independence leader
* 1898 - William Ewart Gladstone, British prime minister
* 1904 - Auguste Molinier, French historian
* 1907 - Benjamin Baker, English engineer
* 1909 - Isaac AlbŽniz, composer
* 1946 - Booth Tarkington, American novelist
* 1954 - Charles Ives, composer
* 1958 - Ronald Colman, actor
* 1969 - Coleman Hawkins, jazz musician
* 1971 - Ogden Nash, poet
* 1983 - Jean Rey, President of the European Commission
* 1987 - James Tiptree Jr., science fiction author
* 1994 - Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, First Lady of the United States
* 1998 - Uno Sosuke, Japanese prime minister
* 2000 - Yevgeny Khrunov, cosmonaut
* 2002 - Walter Lord, writer
* 2002 - John Gorton, prime minister of Australia
Holidays and Observances
* Feast of Saint Dunstan