Bottom Content goes here.
Wikipedia content requires these links.....
Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
List of military missions, operations, and projects
* Adler ("Eagle") -- German air offensive against Britain, as a prelude
to Seelwe, 1940.
* Agatha -- 1946 British attack on Hagana and Irgun in Palestine
* Ambassador -- British commando raid during World War II
* Anaconda -- US effort to capture al Qaeda and Taliban in Afghanistan.
* Anadyr -- USSR plan to base nuclear weapons in Cuba; the cause of the
Cuban Missile Crisis
* Apollo -- Canadian Navy's operation in support of the United States
forces in Afghanistan.
* Argus -- detonation of nuclear bombs in the upper atmosphere, 1959.
* Attila  -- German seizure and occupation of Vichy France, 1940.
* Attila  -- Turkish invasion and occupation of northern Cyprus, 1974.
* Barbarossa -- German invasion of the Soviet Union, 1941.
* Birke ("Birch") -- German plan to withdraw from Northern Finland prior
to the Lapland War, September 1944.
* Birkhahn ("Black Cock") -- German withdrawl from Norway, 1945.
* Blau ("Blue") -- German offensive at Voronezh, Russia, June 1942.
* Bljesak ("Flash") -- Croatian offensive against western Slavonian parts
of Krajina, 1995
* Blcher -- German campaign in the Caucasus, April 1942
* Bodenplatte ("Baseplate") -- German aerial attack on 27 Allied airbases
in Europe, January 1945.
* Bodyguard -- the Allied strategic deception plan for the Normandy
* Chariot -- the British raid on St Nazaire, March 1942
* Compass -- the British counter-offensive in Egypt/Libya, December 1940
* Cooney -- French commando raid.
* Coronet -- Second of two prongs of the planned invasion of Japan,
* Epsom -- British assault west of Caen, Normandy, 1944.
* (Fall) Blau  ("Case Blue") -- Planned German air attack on England,
* Fall Blau  ("Case Blue") -- German offensive in the southern USSR,
* Cerberus -- Escape of German capital ships from Brest, France to home
ports in Germany, February 12, 1942
* Cobra -- American breakout from Normandy, 1944.
* Crusader -- British attempt to relieve Tobruk (Libya), 1941.
* Deadlight -- postwar scuttling of U-boats, 1945-1946.
* Desert Shield -- buildup prior to Gulf War, 1990.
* Desert Storm -- Gulf War, 1991.
* Downfall -- planned Allied invasion of Japan.
o Olympic -- First of two prongs of the invasion of Japan.
o Coronet-- Second of two prongs of the invasion of Japan.
* Donnerschlag ("Thunderbolt") -- Planned breakout of the German 6th Army
from Stalingrad, December 1942.
* Downwood -- attack on German dams in World War II.
* Dragoon -- Allied landing in southern France, 1944.
* Drumbeat -- German U-boat attack on east coast shipping of US, 1942.
* Dynamo -- The Evacuation from Dunkirk
* Edelweiss -- Proposed capture of the oil fields of Baku in the Caucasus
by Axis forces, July 1942.
* El Dorado Canyon -- US strikes against Libya, 1986.
* Enduring Freedom, US and UK invasion of Afghanistan, 2001-2002.
* Entebbe - Israeli Entebbe operation 1976
* Evening Light -- US attempt to rescue embassy hostages in Tehran, Iran,
* Fall Gelb ("Case Yellow") -- German offensive against western Europe,
* Fall Weiss ("Case White") -- German invasion of Poland, 1939.
* Felix -- Planned German invasion of Gibraltar via Spain, 1940-1941.
* Feuerzauber ("Fire Magic") -- Planned German capture of Leningrad,
* Fischereiher ("Heron") -- German offensive to capture Stalingrad, 1942.
* Fortitude -- Allied deception of Germany, 1944.
* Frhlingserwachen ("Spring Awakening") -- Last German counterattack
against Russian forces in Hungary, March 1945.
* Granby -- British codename for operations during Gulf War in 1991.
* Golden Pheasant -- US deployment in Honduras, 1988.
* Goodwood -- British breakout attempt in Normandy (France), 1944.
* Greif ("Grab") -- German troops disguised as Allied soldiers capture
bridges across the River Meuse in the Ardennes (Luxembourg and France),
* Haven Denial -- U.S. and Italian forces against Taliban remnants and Al
Qaeda fighters in southeast Afghanistan, July, 2003.
* Herbstreise ("Autumn Journey") -- Decoy invasion of Scotland in
conjunction with Seelwe, 1940.
* Herkules -- Planned Axis airborne invasion of Malta, 1942.
* Wacht am Rhein ("Watch on the Rhine") -- German counteroffensive in the
Ardennes (Luxembourg and France), 1944.
* Husky -- Allied invasion of Sicily, 1943.
* Icarus -- Planned German invasion of Iceland, 1940.
* Infinite Justice, original name for Enduring Freedom.
* Iraqi Freedom -- coalition name for 2003 Iraq War.
* Jonathan -- rescue of hostages at Entebbe, Uganda in 1976.
* Just Cause -- US invasion of Panama, 1989.
* Lightfoot -- first attack by British at El Alamein, 1942.
* Marita -- German invasion of Greece, 1941.
* Lost -- British commando raid in Brittany, June, 1944.
* Margarethe -- German operation to keep Hungary from falling to Russia
and defecting to the Allies, in March 1944.
* Market Garden -- Allied airborne attempt to gain a Rhine crossing in
the Netherlands, 1944.
* Merkur ("Mercury") -- German invasion of Crete, 1941.
* Mondscheinsonate ("Moonlight Sonata") -- German aerial raid on
Coventry, November 1940.
* Morgenrote ("Dawn") -- German counterattack against Anzio landings,
* Narcissus -- British commando raid.
* Nordlicht  ("Northern Lights") -- Planned German assault on
* Nordlicht  ("Northern Lights") -- German withdrawal from the Kola
Peninsula and Finland into Norway in 1944.
* Nordwind ("North Wind") -- German offensive in the Alsace region,
* Northwoods - plan to incite war between United States and Cuba in 1960s
* Olympic -- First of two prongs of the invasion of Japan part of
* Oluja ("Storm") -- Croatian offensive against Krajina, 1995
* Overlord -- Allied landings in Normandy (France), 1944.
o Bodyguard, Overall deception plan.
o Detroit, American airdrop in Normany.
o Chicago, American airdrop in Normandy.
o Dingson Free French Commando raid.
o Tonga, British airdrop in Normandy.
o Neptune, Overall Allied naval operations for the invasion.
o Maple, Allied naval minesweeping operations.
o Gambit, British midget submarine operations.
* Northern Watch -- northern No-Fly Zone over Iraq, 1990s.
* Paperclip - a part-military, part-scientific operation to gain
information out of Nazi scientists after the Second World War.
* Peace for Galilee - Israeli invasion of Lebanon
* Peter Pan - transfer of Cubans to United States in 1960-1962
* Platinfuchs ("Platinum Fox") -- German attack towards Murmansk from
Finnish Petsamo as part of Operation Barbarossa, 1941.
* Polarfuchs ("Polar Fox") -- German attack towards Kandalaksha from
Finnish Lapland as part of Operation Barbarossa, 1941.
* Power Pack -- US deployment in Santo Domingo, 1965.
* Provide Comfort - provide security and humanitarian aid to Kurds in
northern Iraq in 1991
* Renntier ("Reindeer") -- German occupation of Finnish Petsamo in 1941.
* Rheinbung ("Exercise Rhine") -- German attacks on Allied shipping
conducted by the ships Bismarck and Prinz Eugen, 1941.
* Rsselsprung  ("Knights Move") -- German naval campaign to sink
Allied Arctic convoys between Britain and Russia, 1942.
* Rsselsprung  ("Knights Move") -- German attempt to capture partisan
leader Tito at his Bosnian HQ, May 1944.
* Roundup -- Planned Allied landings in France, 1942.
* Seelwe ("Sea Lion") -- Planned German invasion of Great Britain, 1940.
* Sharp Edge -- evacuation of Americans from Liberia, 1990-1991.
* Shining Express--evacuation of Americans from Liberia, 2003.
* Sledgehammer -- Planned Allied landings in France, 1942.
* Sonnenwende ("Winter Solstice") -- German offensive to relieve
Pomerania from Russian forces and halt advance on Berlin, February
* Southern Watch -- southern No-Fly Zone over Iraq, 1990s.
* Stsser -- German paratrooper drop intended to capture highway
crossroads in the Ardennes (Luxembourg and France), December 1944.
* Supercharge -- second attack by British at El Alamein, 1942.
* Suzannah - Israel plan to bomb American interests in Egypt in 1954
* Tanne Ost -- Failed German attempt to capture Suursaari from Finland in
* Tanne West -- Planned German attempt to capture land from Finland in
* Telic -- British codename for operations against Iraq in 2003.
* Theseus -- German offensive to drive Allies out of Cyrenaica and Egypt,
* Torch -- American landings in North Africa, 1942.
* Totalize -- Allied effort to trap German armor in Normandy, 1944.
* Typhoon -- German autumn offensive to capture Moscow, October 1941.
* Urgent Fury -- US invasion of Grenada, 1983.
* Vittles -- Berlin Airlift in 1948
* Watchtower -- US counterinvasion of Guadalcanal, 1942.
* Weserbung ("Weser Exercise") -- German invasions of Denmark and
Norway, April 1940.
* Wintergewitter ("Winter Storm") -- German attempt to relief encircled
6th Army in Stalingrad (Russia), 1942.
* Zitadelle ("Citadel") -- German counteroffensive at Kursk (Russia),